Sunday, February 14, 2016

New Arrivals: The Late Edition

I've discovered that I haven't updated the blog with any new arrivals since April of 2015. I wanted to get a new camera before posting pictures and kept putting it off. When I finally settled on ordering a camera after doing extensive research and budget-fidgeting somehow it was 2016. Alas, the new camera I ordered turned out to be not so new. For some reason the retailer sent me a used camera and I had to return it for a refund. Now I'm back at square one, still looking for a new camera.

Tto prevent any further delays I'm going to have to be satisfied with pictures from my cellphone. Not ideal, but it will have to do. Procrastination had nothing to do with it. It's the camera I tell you. It's all the camera's fault!

Purchased

Since my big splurge in April I didn't buy that many books. Partly because I tried to cut back on buying books. That doesn't mean that I didn't buy any...


I got Neal Asher's Jupiter War and Elizabeth Moon's The Serrano Legacy in a very rare visit to an actual physical book shop while having to attend a workshop in Cape Town. I had 5 minutes to raid the science fiction section in a Bargain Books, which was sadly very lacking in selection. Still, I'm happy I at least got something to show for the trip,


I ordered these from Reader's Warehouse, a local online store I would happily blow my entire monthly budget with if they only updated their site more regularly. The star of the show is the stunning clothbound hardcover edition of William Gibson's Neuromancer. It's almost too pretty to read! I got the new editions of Neal Asher's Prador Moon and The Gabble and other Stories. I already own the older editions, but I really wanted these stunning Jon Sullivan covers. There's a copy of Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns in the black edition to round off my set, Raymond E. Feist's A Crown Imperilled and lastly The Mammoth Book of SF Wars edited by Ian Watson and Ian Whates.

For Review

I received some amazing books for review. Sadly most of these are still stuck on mount TBR, but I'm hoping to get to them all. Eventually.

 First up from Pan Macmillan SA:

Under Ground - S.L. Grey. A creepy psychological horror by one of South Africa's most fearsome writing duos. Read the review.
The Abyss Beyond Stars - Peter F. Hamilton
The Escape - David Baldacci
Every Night I Dream of Hell - Malcolm Mackay
This One Time - Alex van Tonder

From Jonathan Ball Publishers:


The Age of Magic - Ben Okri
The Broken Eye - Brent Weeks
Legion - Brandon Sanderson. Read the review
Legion: Skin Deep - Brandon Sanderson
The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu

Lastly from the wonderful folks at Tor:


Updraft - Fran Wilde. Read the review.
The Machine Awakes - Adam Christopher
The Left-hand Way - Tom Doyle


The Shards of Heaven - Micheal Livingston
Dragon Heart - Cecelia Holland
Solar Express - L.E. Modesitt JR

***

I think that should cover the last 8 months or so. Hopefully I didn't miss any. That's a lot of reading goodness and will take me some time to get to especially those books that are part of a series which I still need to catch up on. I'd better get to it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow so many amazing books! All those Sci-Fi books! Very jealous of Underground and This One Time. Enjoy your books :)

    Sugar & Snark - Latest haul

    ReplyDelete