It's that time of year again* when us mere mortals get the chance to participate in a battle of wits with Tiemen Zwaan, the dastardly mastermind behind the blind book date initiative at the American Book Center in Amsterdam. Yes, folks. It's time for the annual Blind Book Challenge!
For those new to the challenge, the aim of the game is to try to decipher the titles of speculative fiction novels based on cryptic clues. It's kinda like a crossword puzzle - only much, much tougher. Post your answers/guesses in the comments below and see how many titles you can identify correctly.
The correct answers will be revealed at a later date.
- Science-Fiction & Fantasy/Nazi X-men/British Warlocks/Well, That Escalated Quickly
- Young Adult/Waking Up After Dying/Republic of Texas/Worst Newbie Ever Seen
- Science-Fiction/A Tale of Two Sociopaths/Experiment Gone Horribly Wrong/ Ambition, Betrayal and Superpowers
- Science-Fiction/Asteroid Colony in Peril/Good-Sammies/Rogue AI
- Science-Fiction/A Future Plagued by Drought/Occupation/Young Tea Master
- Science-Fiction/Abused Child in a War-torn Universe/Enslaved by Pirates/Surviving into Adulthood
- Science-Fiction/Invasion/Telepathic Aliens/A Cure worse than the Disease
- Young Adult/ Underground City of Sculpted Faces/Deadly Game of a Crafty Upper Class/A Girl Who Is Too Honest (And Slightly Mad)
- Fantasy/Vampire Bookstore Owner/College Campus/A Book Sought by Creeps
- Fantasy/Company of Mercenaries/Besieged by the Wild/Hermetical Memory Palace
- Fantasy/Ancient China/Mysterious Illness/Scholar with a Slight Flaw
- Fantasy/Post Apocalyptic Africa/Skin the Color of Sand/Mystical Journey
- Fantasy/Six Stories/One About Painting/All About a Big Fucking Dragon
- Young Adult/A Girl That Can't Resist the Library/A Talking Cat/Books That Open New Worlds
- Fantasy/Not Your Usual Vampires/Kitsune/Missing Girls
- Science-Fiction/Dystopian Japan/Invasion by North Korean Rebels/A Band of Renegade Youths
- Science-Fiction/Job of a Lifetime/Hopping from Planet to Planet/An Eclectic and Eccentric Crew
- Fantasy/Chain Smoking Novice/A City and a Dead God/Junior Associate at a Necromantic Firm
- Science-Fiction/Writer with a Writer's Block/Outspoken Cognitive Neurologist/A Neural Net Reading Great Books
* Actually it's much later than initially planned, but sadly that terrible thing we all have to do in order to fund our book habit got in the way.